Wednesday, August 20, 2014

The Grass is always Greener


As the new school year approaches and I start to gather my kids curriculum, I can't help but smile to myself.

My babies are now preschoolers. My preschoolers are now in elementary school.

My kids are growing up. And apparently, so am I.

When my oldest was about 5 days old, I was sitting with my father in law and telling him how I think I have my baby figured out and how he is on a great schedule.

My dear father in law just smiled and nodded his head. As the father of 11 kids, he knew fully well how just when we think we have it all figured out, things change, life happens.

I am constantly getting to know my kids. Their personalities, their learning styles. And as I get to know them, it actually gets easier to cater to their schooling.

Looking at how others homeschool can be inspiring. But at the same time, it's not your garden. It's not your kids, or your family dynamics, so never ever compare your homeschool life to anyone elses.

Look at your kids. Talk to them. See what they like. Recognize their strengths and recognize their challenges so you can be there to help them get through them.

We all have our own gardens. Be prepared for unexpected changes. Be open to changing things around when things are not working out. Don't try to push something that is not working for your family but is working for another. If you concentrate on your own garden instead of looking into everyone elses, yours will blossom and bloom. 

Good luck starting off your school year,
Always,

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...